Boob mapping (ultrasound)

02 Mar

Follow-up to my Boob Squish post.

I had my pelvic ultrasound this morning (which got rescheduled because we had icy weather). The CRNP tried to call me this afternoon, but I was at my breast ultrasound. By the time I got home the office was closed. The tech confirmed the big fibroid (not surprising) and a thickened uterine lining (also not surprising considering my history). She did confirm that no impingement on my kidneys or anything, so that was good. The question is, what does the CRNP want to do next. No clue.

I went out to the Boob Mapping this afternoon. Once again, I had to sit around and wait for my appointment. At least it was only 20 minutes this time, in comparison to almost 45 minutes last time. The tech had me change into the gown and she took me into the ultrasound room. When she was setting me up, I asked her if she had a roadmap for where she wanted to go and she said YEP. But that was pretty much all the small talk I got. And because of the location of the machine and how I was lying on the gurney, I couldn’t see a damn thing on the screen. She concentrated on a couple of places on each side of each breast, goop going everywhere. Then she handed me a small towel, told me I could “clean up” and said, “You can lay there or sit there or whatever. Be back!” and she left the room.

If you are reading this and you are a radiology tech…take the extra minute to explain WTF is going on. I had no idea where she went or why, or how long she’d be gone. I was left sitting in this tiny, stifling, darkened room. Alone. With a blank machine and only my imagination. I finally realized on my own that they must have been having a doctor review the ultrasound. But I had no idea how long that was supposed to take. Why were they taking so long? Why was no one telling me what was happening? Was a doctor going to talk to me? If a doctor came into the room with the tech was that good or bad? Seriously, one extra minute of the tech’s time would have given me 10 minutes of less stress if I had understood what was happening. I tried to do deep breathing but the room was so small and so stuffy that I couldn’t do it.

Finally, the door opened and the tech came in with another person, who introduced himself as a doctor. Was that good or bad that he came in? Routine? Bad news? WHAT?! I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my throat and I wanted to scream. If the tech had told me this was routine, I might have heard everything that was said, you know?

Luckily, the doctor explained that one side of one breast was denser than the other breast, which was the reason for the ultrasound on that side. They found nothing concerning. The reason for the ultrasound on the other side was that the mammo picked up something and they wanted to see it better. He said between the mammo and the ultrasound, they feel strongly that it is a cyst (fluid-filled, he said — I said I seemed prone to cysts, since I have a long history of sebaceous cysts…he seemed uninterested). Benign. Nothing to worry about. Everything looks clear, he said. He asked my age, asked if this was my first mammo, and then told me they’d see me in a year. Nothing to follow-up on before then. He smiled and told me to have a good evening. I thanked him and tried not to be to profuse about it. The tech directed me back to the dressing room and told me to have a good day. I rushed to get dressed and went out to find Hub. I told him all seemed clear.

Then when we got home I had the voice mail from the CRNP at the gyno. Since it was from 3pm, I knew it wasn’t about my breast ultrasound because I hadn’t even been called back at that point. She only told me to call back, no other clue.

In the meantime, last night, I slept NOT AT ALL. I had a small panic attack, mostly because I felt like my heart was going too fast and was too loud. I couldn’t lie down. I couldn’t rest. I tried really hard to meditate with deep breathing, which I feel like I was actually able to do. But as soon as I stopped breathing and tried to lie down to go to sleep, my heart started pounding again. I started worrying that I was having an arrhythmia, because I felt like my heart wouldn’t slow down. So I had to be up at 6:30 this morning to get ready for my first test, and by 5am I was still awake. I dozed off for about an hour, then was awake. At 6:30 the doctor’s office called to reschedule my first test because of the icy roads. I dozed again from about 7-8am, then I was awake. It was a sucky night and I feel exhausted. I hope to make tonight a better night.

Tomorrow it’s my brother’s colonoscopy and my father’s acupuncture appointment.



Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 responses to “Boob mapping (ultrasound)

  1. joeyfullystated

    March 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm

    OMG. Well I guess you might sleep better tonight! I’m glad you’re breast tissue is benign ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes, it’s really normal for the guy to go away and come back with the dr, every time. Good or bad. Sometimes there are THREE people, a tech, a radiologist and then the dr! It can take a long time.
    I hope you’re feeling better now, even if it’s just a smidge.

    I so wish all medical professionals would use their words! I am not a machine!

    • meANXIETYme

      March 2, 2015 at 8:01 pm

      Oh boy, if three people had walked in together, I think I might have passed out. Then again, the room was so tiny, I don’t think we would have all fit.
      Thanks, I hope I sleep better. I feel like I could crash right now, but if I did then I’d be up at 4am and my whole cycle would be screwed up. I got enough sleeping troubles, I totally don’t want THAT.
      And I am feeling slightly better now that the boobs have been pronounced benign. But I really do wish I had asked for copies of the map for Hub’s office wall. ๐Ÿ˜‰

      • joeyfullystated

        March 2, 2015 at 8:54 pm

        Hahah! That’s the spirit! ๐Ÿ™‚

  2. April

    March 3, 2015 at 9:20 am

    Thankfully, I received a play by play. Since I have a history of cancer, they aspirated my cyst, and the tech let me see the needle go in and the cyst deflate. It was all pretty cool. Then I had to wait…just to make sure it wasn’t cancer…days of stress went by. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that your next test is okay!

    • meANXIETYme

      March 3, 2015 at 9:35 am

      I didn’t see or feel whatever this cyst was, nor did my CRNP when she did a breast exam. I guess it’s small. But I have had sebaceous cysts and I’ve seen THOSE deflate. Yuck.
      I’m not sure I’d have done so well having them do that where I could watch. Especially if I was alone.
      Thanks for the good wishes.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: